The Bharat Griha Raksha Policy was launched by the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDA) with effect from 1st April, 2021. This policy aims to ensure that owners of home and buildings are protected when unexpected events cause physical loss, damage or destruction of their homes and the contents in them.
The Bharat Griha Raksha Policy is an important policy for homeowners in India, as it provides them with much-needed protection against various risks. With the increasing frequency of natural calamities and other disasters, having a home insurance policy is becoming increasingly important for homeowners. This policy offers a wide range of coverage options, making it possible for homeowners to choose the coverage that best suits their needs and budget.
Key Features of Bharat Griha Raksha Policy
This policy comes with several key features that make it an attractive option for homeowners. Some of these features include:
- Comprehensive Coverage: The policy offers coverage against a wide range of risks and perils, including fire, lightning, explosion, earthquake, flood, storm, and burglary, among others.
- Flexible Sum Insured: Homeowners can choose a sum insured that suits their needs and budget. The sum insured can be increased or decreased at the time of renewal.
- Affordable Premiums: The premiums for Bharat Griha Raksha Policy are affordable and can be paid annually or in instalments. The premium depends on the sum insured, location of the property, and the age of the property.
- No Claim Bonus: Some insurers may provide a no-claim bonus to the policyholders if they do not make any claims during the policy period.
- Add-On Covers: Homeowners can opt for add-on covers such as personal accident cover, electronic equipment cover, and home appliance cover, among others.
- Tax Benefits: The premium paid for Bharat Griha Raksha Policy is eligible for tax benefits under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act. The policyholder can claim a deduction of up to Rs. 1.5 lakh on the premium paid.
Get Free Quote in Minutes
Overview of Coverages in Bharat Griha Raksha Policy
The Bharat Griha Raksha Policy covers both the structure of the house and its contents, including household goods, furniture, and appliances. The coverage can be customized to suit the needs and budget of the policyholder. The policy is available to homeowners, tenants, and landlords. However, the coverage and premium rates may vary depending on the type of occupancy. The policy can be purchased online or through authorized agents of IRDA.
This Policy gives three types of covers:
a. Home Building Cover: Provides cover for the structure of your home.
b. Home Contents Cover: Provides coverage for the things or items in your home. If the home building is also covered, the general contents are automatically insured for 20% of the Sum insured of the home building (up to a maximum of 10 Lakh), unless you choose for a larger sum insured for home contents and furnish the details.
(Please note that at least one of the above two covers is mandatory.)
c. Optional Coverage: For an additional premium, the following optional covers are offered under the policy.
i. Coverage for Valuable Contents on an Agreed Value Basis: This optional insurance can cover valuable contents of your home such as silverware, paintings, jewellery, works of art, and so on.
ii. Personal Accident Coverage: If an insured peril causes damage to your home building and/or contents, as well as the death of you or your spouse, a compensation of rupees five lakh per person is payable.
What unexpected events are covered by the Bharat Griha Raksha Policy?
The Bharat Griha Raksha Policy covers the following unforeseen events occurring during the policy period-
· Implosion or explosion
· Volcanic eruption, earthquake or other such convulsions of nature
· Landslide, Rockslide & Subsidence of the land where your home/ building stands
· Storm, Typhoon, Tempest, Cyclone, Hurricane, Tsunami, Tornado, Flood and Inundation
· Impact or collision damage caused by any external physical object such as aircraft, wall vehicle, falling trees, etc.
· Bush Fire, Forest fire, Jungle fire
· Riot, Strikes, Malicious Damages
· Missile testing operations
· Acts of terrorism (as per specific terrorism clause)
· Leakage from automatic sprinkler installations.
· Bursting /overflowing of water tanks, pipes and apparatus.
· Theft within 7 days of occurrence and proximately caused by the insured events mentioned above.
Does the Bharat Griha Raksha policy cover all losses caused by these events?
Typically, this policy has the following exclusions to limit the scope of coverage*: -
· Deliberate, wilful or intentional act of the policyholder
· Pollution or contamination
· Property is missing /has been mislaid
· Loss or damage to bullion or unset precious stones
· Ionising radiation
· Costs, fees or expenses for preparing any claim.
· Consequential/ indirect loss or damage
- Loss or damage of any apparatus inside the insured home structure
- Loss or damage to an electronic /electric machine
· Vehicles, manuscripts, and explosive substances
- Loss or damage of any machinery due to arcing, over-running or self-heating
· Addition, extension, or alteration to the insured building above 10% of its carpet area
· War, invasion, war-like operations
*Please refer to policy document for the entire list of exclusions
Bharat Griha Raksha Policy covers the following types of buildings like
Independent Building - In the event of natural disasters and man-made disasters, the policy covers standalone buildings or rented buildings where you live.
Villas – The policy protects independent house or villa from risks and unforeseen instances.
Residential Flat or Housing Society – The policy covers both the rented and the owned flats.
The Bharat Griha Raksha Policy is designed to cater to the needs of homeowners and offers various benefits such as flexible coverage options, affordable premiums, and easy claim settlement procedures. The policy can be customized to suit the specific needs of the homeowner, and additional coverage options can be added to the policy as per requirements. Overall, the Bharat Griha Raksha Policy is a reliable and trustworthy home insurance policy that provides comprehensive coverage and protection to homeowners. It is recommended that homeowners consider purchasing this policy to safeguard their homes and belongings against unforeseen events.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is the Claim Process of Bharat Griha Raksha Policy?
To file a claim under the Bharat Griha Raksha Policy, the policyholder must follow the below steps:
- Intimation: The policyholder must immediately inform the insurer about the damage caused to the insured property. The policyholder can inform the insurer by calling the customer care number or through the online portal.
- Documentation: The policyholder must provide all the necessary documents to support the claim. The documents required include the policy document, FIR copy, estimate of repairs, photographs of the damaged property, and any other relevant documents.
- Survey: After receiving the claim intimation, the insurer will appoint a surveyor to assess the damage caused to the insured property. The surveyor will visit the property and prepare a report on the extent of damage.
- Settlement: Based on the survey report, the insurer will settle the claim amount with the policyholder. The claim settlement amount will depend on the sum insured and the extent of damage caused.
2. How do I become eligible to buy the cover?
You can purchase the policy for a building if you are its owner, authorized occupant, landlord, or tenant and you are liable for insurance. If your home building is used for residential use, you can get the cover. If you engage in commercial activity by hiring others, you cannot purchase this policy and must instead purchase an appropriate policy. You may purchase insurance for any item or thing if you are the purchaser ,owner, or responsible for it.
3. Who will collect amounts in the unfortunate event of my death?
In the event of your death before receiving your claim amount, the Insurer shall pay it to Your Nominee or Legal Representatives. Please register Your nominee with the Insurer to ensure the claim can be settled as soon as possible.
4. How to Apply online for Bharat Griha Raksha Policy?
BimaKavach helps you get the policy with ease. Speak to our experts for best assistance. It is important to note that the policyholder needs to provide accurate information while applying for the policy. Any misrepresentation of facts may result in the rejection of a claim later on. It is also advisable to read the policy document carefully before signing up for the policy to understand the terms and conditions, inclusions, and exclusions of the policy.